Some of Mary Knapp's favorite light houses along the Great Lakes Seaway Trail
Tips from Expert Quilter Mary Knapp:
Mary Knapp, quilt pattern designer and the author of “Star Quilts” to be released by C&T Publishing later this year, offers these design tips if quilters are interested in creating a pictorial or art quilt to enter:
- Start with a photograph of the scenic drive or area that inspires you.
- Trace a simple general outline using tissue paper over a photo.
- Don’t be too complex at first; add details later.
- Think about whether you want to use warm or cool colors.
- Blend 3-6 shades of one color for effect.
- Add an accent color to make a detail jump out.
- Cut some pieces, lay the pattern out on the floor.
- Then fit fabrics to the elements.
- Stand back and look, adjust to your liking, then begin sewing.